The existing Veterans Memorial Bridge was built in 1954 to connect Portland's West End to South Portland over the Fore River and carries over 22,000 vehicles per day. The replacement bridge was built on a new alignment in the vicinity of the existing structure. Maine DOT utilized a "best value" scoring process for its selection of the design-build team that took into account the technical value of innovations and features of the design and construction concepts as well as the cost of the project. The new precast concrete segmental twin bridges have span lengths up to 250' joined with a CIP closure strip between structures and a total deck width of structure ranging from 82.5' to 94.5'. Additional features included precast concrete segmental variable depth box girder superstructure, CIP substructure founded on driven pipe piles. The structure was built using the balanced cantilever method with barge mounted cranes and segments were cast using the short-line precasting method.
Hatcher Technical worked with construction engineer McNary Bergeron to provide:
- Fully integrated shop drawings for the precast pier segments
- Fully integrated shop drawings for the precast segmental bridge superstructure